National EFMI Member Society
About the Member Society
The Health Informatics Society of Ireland (HISI) builds bridges between computer professionals interested in health care, and healthcare professionals interested in computing – while supporting and embracing the health informatics professionals.
There are currently over 700 members drawn from information technology, medicine, nursing, other professions allied to medicine, education, government and industry.
The Health Informatics Society of Ireland:
- Incorporates the Health Informatics sections of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland and of the Irish Computer Society
- Is the official representative and a member of the European Federation for Medical Informatics and the International Medical Informatics Association
- Is a founding member of Prorec Ireland
The society currently provides three special interest groups:
- HISI Suppliers Group representing industry.
- HISI NM representing Nursing, Midwifery and Clinicians
- HISI Academic Group representing academia
HISI supports the Health Informatics Training System (HITS), an online certification solution for all healthcare workers using technology in the healthcare sector.
HISI also endorses Irish Council for Health Informatics Professions (iCHIP), Ireland's foremost Register for Health Informatics Professionals.
The officers of the Society are:
- President: Prof. Gerard Lyons, National University of Ireland, Galway
- Chair: Mr Declan Fitzgerald, DMF Systems, Dublin
- Secretary: Dr. Rita Collins, University College, Dublin
The objectives, as set out in the Constitution, are:
- To develop and disseminate knowledge of the use of informatics in health care.
- To promote research and education in health care informatics.
- To participate internationally with bodies of similar interests.
For further information on the member society please visit their website using the link above.