The introduction of eHealth applications as well as of the Biomedical and Health Informatics (BMHI) discipline into the health care domain requires high quality educated and trained health care professionals in the field. Education is considered as the most appropriate tool to improve greatly the acceptance attitudes and behavior of the professionals working in the healthcare environment towards eHealth applications. EFMI is well aware of the importance of Education and in its history the working group in education was the first working group to be established. Since education has an international value and there no borders in its objectives, the working group seeks to achieve International cooperation in its main objectives which they may be summarized as follows: information on existing programs and curricula in the field, dissemination of experiences in implementing educational programs, evaluation, and accreditation of programs, and finally certification of users in BMHI knowledge and skills. A more detailed reference to the objectives can be found below:
- to disseminate and exchange information on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BMHI) programs and courses.
- to exchange experiences of how BMHI is taught and to improve the implementation
- to establish a database on programs and courses on BMHI education
- to produce international recommendations on BMHI education
- to support BMHI courses and exchange of students and teachers within the EFMI countries.
- to foster the accreditation process of BMHI programs in Europe.
- to explore the process of certification of knowledge and skills of users in BMHI
- to investigate the possibility of establishing summer courses organized by the WG EDU
WebsiteThe Working Group website is hosted at the address: http://en.hil.nurs.uoa.gr/wgedu.html
- During the joint Board meetings of IMIA and EFMI the issue of representation of EFMI in the accreditation process of academic programs was raised and it was agreed that EFMI will be presented in the accreditation committee and EFMI will be mentioned in the accreditation certificate whenever an accreditation is taking place in an EFMI country.
- Presentation of WG EDU activities during the recent MIEs
- The activities of the WG EDU and important outcomes will be cited in the new website of the WG EDU, http://en.hil.nurs.uoa.gr/wgedu.html.
- A number of educational related papers were presented during the International Conference in Informatics, Management and Technology in Healthcare.
- Enhancing the Accreditation process in EFMI
- Providing a database of courses of European institutions, http://en.hil.nurs.uoa.gr/wgedu/educational-programs-in-europe.html, hosted at WG EDU website
- Exploring Certification process for Health Informatics
- Mantas J. Biomedical and Health Informatics Education - the IMIA Years. Yearb Med Inform. 2016 Aug 2;Suppl 1:S92-S102. doi: 10.15265/IY-2016-032.
- Marcano-Cedeño A, Wageih MA, Gómez EJ, Mantas J. IMIA Dynamic Accreditation Procedure: Suggestions, Simplicity and Efficiency. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2015;213:115-8.
- Kolokathi A, Mantas J. Developing an Institutional Repository of Digital Health Information Content. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2015;213:183-6
- Manifava E, Kolokathi A, Mantas J. Exploring the biomedical and health informatics educational programs in Europe. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2014;202:67-70.
- Friedman C, Hasman A, Holmes J, Mantas J, Saranto K. International Perspectives on Program Accreditation for Professional Education in Informatics. MedInfo 2013: 1241
- Hasman A, Mantas J. IMIA Accreditation of Health Informatics Programs. Healthc Inform Res. 2013 Sep;19(3):154-61. doi: 10.4258/hir.2013.19.3.154. Epub 2013 Sep 30
- Mantas J, Hasman A, Shortliffe EH. Assessment of the IMIA educational accreditation process. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;192:702-6.
- Zogas S, Lialiou P, Gallos P, Mantas J. The e-learning programs in Greek Universities: a literature review. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;190:89-91.
- Lialiou P, Mantas J. Evaluation of health professionals in the use of Internet information retrieval systems in health: a literature review. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;190:80-2.
16 January 2017
The Organising Committee and the Scientific Programme Committee welcome you to the 15th...
12 November 2015
The Organising Committee and the Scientific Programme Committee welcome you to the 14th...
28 November 2014
Call for Papers for ICIMTH 2016 to be held in Athens from 1 to 3 July, 2016 is already open....